- Have you ever heard a siren or seen a fire engine – and wondered what was happening?
- Have you ever witnessed or come upon a motor vehicle accident – and wished you could help?
- Have you been there when someone was stricken with sudden illness – and wanted to assist?
- Are you looking for new lifelong friendships, challenges and rewards?
- Do you want to become involved in your community?
- Are you looking to supplement your retirement?
The fire and EMS service is one of the most diverse and challenging vocations today. It is this diversity that attracts most men and women to join our ranks.
Different people volunteer for different reasons. Action oriented people enjoy the excitement and adrenaline rush that emergency services has to offer. Some see the volunteer fire service as an alternative to ‘driving a desk by day’ – by allowing them to ‘drive a fire truck at night!’
Many like the feeling they get when they help people in their time of need and some feel it’s their obligation to serve the community. Yet others just want to belong to the team. Whatever motivates you to volunteer – everyone gains the self-satisfaction of being at their best when others are dealing with what is often the worst that life has to offer.
Imagine having to prepare yourself to cope with situations that range from structure fires to childbirth to hazardous chemical spills to heart attacks to almost any imaginable emergency in between. This diversity is coupled with the fact that these skills may be needed at any time of the day or night, seven days a week, in any kind of weather, and very often under potentially stressful and emotional circumstances. Yet these same factors contribute to our profession being so personally rewarding.
We realize that firefighting & EMS is not for everyone, but we believe that volunteering can be. There is plenty of work to be done on or behind the scene – including running the business behind the front lines.
The personal rewards and satisfaction received from what we do is often beyond description. There is the sense of accomplishment when you control a building fire, joy and elation when a child is born, compassion for accident victims, and fulfillment from teaching fire safety.
The bottom line in our business is measured by the loss of life, pain and suffering, and the property damage we have prevented and reduced.
Volunteering in emergency services is one of the most important decisions you may make. We hope that you give this decision the time and serious consideration it deserves, and decide to join our ranks.
- This is the 1st item
- This is the 2nd item
- At least 16 years old
- Clean Criminal Background
- Good Physical Shape
- Attend Company Meetings/Trainings
Palmyra Fire offers its members with many attractive benefits. Fire service experience that can’t be duplicated in any other area of the Country is one of the biggest attractions to our department. We are also close to many colleges and universities from Lebanon Valley College in Annville and within a 30 minute drive to Harrisburg Area Community College. We also offer members with the ability to become a Live-In member, establishing residency at the fire house rent free (great opportunity for college students).
Additional Benefits Include
- Free Fire and EMS Training
- Opportunities for Advancement
- Free Wi-Fi
- Help those in need
- Experiences, friendships and moments that will change your life
- Determine if Palmyra Fire is for you
- Complete Application and Background Authorization form.
- Investigating Committee performs background and reference checks.
- Candidate meets with Investigation Committee for interview.
- Candidate is voted upon at the next Company Business meeting.
Palmyra Fire offers a unique program for members to become a resident of the fire house. The live in program has additional requirements not required by general membership. In addition live in members receive the highest number of calls gaining fire service experience quickly, bettering their career in the fire service. If you're interested in becoming a live-in member, contact the Recuritment Officer listed below.
- Full time student or Full time Job
- Live Rent Free
- Best Fire Service Experience possible
- Opportunity to run large number of Fire/EMS calls.
Palmyra Fire also offers opportunities for those that wish to help their community, but don't necessarily wish to involve themselves in Firefighting Operations. If you're interested in learning more about the Administrative Membership, contact our Recruitment Officer and ask about the opportunities that we currently have.
Are you Interested?
If what you have read appeals to you, send Lieutenant Jimmy Bamberger an email at email@example.com to discuss your next steps. Additionally, if you're interested in coming to do a ride-along or visit for a day, be sure to let us know!